Thursday, February 20, 2020

Exploring Genre: BLOG 1

Happy Monday Everyone!!



After spending my entire weekend at a volleyball tournament in Tampa, I’ve been super busy but found time to share with everyone my studies and ideas. As I take on this challenging, yet fun project, I wanted to make sure I selected the correct genre that I would be able to showcase to the best of my abilities. With that being said, I wanted to do ROMANCE!!!



The romance genre interested me the most because it has endless scenarios for the love interests to find themselves in. Of course, this film journey I am going to embark on is going to consist of a nonfiction storyline, it will give me more room to create a piece with more original ideas and thoughts, along with an intense underlying message that can be perceived in the nonfiction world.



I’m going to do an overview of the genre to ensure that my film opening consists of all the same elements of romantic content that fit in with the genre.





According to AMC’s ‘film site,’ “ Romance films are love stories, or affairs of the heart that center on passion, emotion, and the romantic, affectionate involvement of the main characters.”

This is a basic overview that I’m sure, if i asked a stranger what a romance film was, their answer would be pretty similar. So let’s get more in depth with more of the fascinating elements.

I was reading how ‘many romantic films do not have fairy-tale, wistful-thinking stories or happy endings,’ which inspired my storyline. I didn’t want to pursue the basic or ‘predictable’ love story. Definitely want to dive deeper and make the viewer work to find the answers!! The romantic plot line typically involves following the protagonists but I wanted to make more relations between protagonist and antagonist, I feel it will lead to a more intense intimate conclusion , rather than one that has been anticipated throughout. The romance genre follows a more emotional response from the viewers, similar to the comedy genre, or serious storylines, rather than based on narrative elements. Strong romance films find themselves focusing on pure, true love, with obstacles that add to the intensity. Obstacles that are heavily used in this genre to challenge the lovers could be sickness, discrimination, family restraints. According to Swoon Reads, there are 5 tips on creating romantic pieces these include:

Creating Dynamic Characters


Establish a realistic attraction


Build tension


Raise the steaks


Build intimacy


I plan on utilizing all five of these tips to create the a film opening to the best of my abilities following the genre!

No comments:

Post a Comment